What is a Goal?
For 2018 I had so many ideas and resolutions, some I worked on others I didn’t even pay attention to. Looking back, I wasn’t really focusing on how to achieve them because I did not set them as GOALS! For 2019 I am tossing the resolutions and creating goals of things that I really want, setting them into priorities and breaking them to prevent the overwhelming feeling that often times lead us to put them aside.
First things first, what is a Goal? We hear this word a lot of times when we read or listen about dreams, resolutions and so on…
In simple words a goal ” is an idea of the future or desired result that a person or a group of people envisions, plans and commits to achieve. People endeavor to reach goals within a finite time by setting deadlines” – Thank you -Google-!
But how do we as individuals set up our goals?! We are all different, desires, ideas, creativeness. There is no exact recipe to set goals. At the end we need to look within us, REALLY look inside and reach for what you want.
When choosing goals I asked myself the following:
- Why?– It is important to really know the reason why you want to set that specific desire into a goal.
- When? For when do you want this goal to be set, is it a short term or long term? Defining this will help you establish how you want to break this goal into tasks.
- Is this your goal? Sometimes we internalize what other people envision for us but in reality it is not within us, not our passion or desire.
This list helps me figure out what general items to focus:
- Brake an unhealthy habit.
- Change eating habits.
- Exercise habits.
- Sleeping habits.
- Add or change your self care routine.
- Reduce consumption
- Enjoy more of nature
- Use resources with less negative impact.
- De-clutter closet.
- Go for slow fashion.
- Buy more local.
- Create a wardrobe capsule.
- Less screen time, more family game night.
- Plan more vacations or stay cations.
- Encourage more patience.
- Participate more on giving and sharing activities.
- Encourage more spiritual activities.
- Have more dates, daddy and me, kids and me etc….
- Read more together.
- Teach kids a new language.
- Create a vision board. I have it here but it also combines your personal life vision.
- Educate yourself. Take a course, read a book related to what you want to do.
- Balance family/career.
- Increase performance in your job or business.
- Increase efficiency in your job or business.
- Start a business, blog, new career.
How to achieve them
Now! after you have established where you want to focus it is time to make them a reality, right?!
Sometimes just by thinking of a goal does not mean it stops there and it will happen just because you want it, sorry but it doesn’t work like that!
One need to really dive into it but also discover what helps us get to that goal in a steady pace.
6 Steps I Take to Help Achieve My Goals .
- Break your goal into tasks. Your goal might be very ambitious, there is nothing wrong about that. Having smaller steps that take you to your final destination will probably help you be more productive. By being more productive you will probably feel motivated and less likely to quit.
- Set a deadline. It helps when you set a date or a milestone… whatever you feel it is best to push you towards a finish. If you estimated wrong ( it can happen) you can always readjust. That takes me to….
- Readjust your tasks. Sometimes we might think of one way to get to our goal but eventually figure out another way that is best. Don’t forget the task or goal, just adjust what you need to reach your final destination.
- Create habits. Getting adjusted to new things can be challenging but remember that our body and mind create a memory. At the beginning it may seem difficult, even impossible but with time it will be part of your routine. A routine that will get you to your goal.
- Be accountable. If you are amazing at creating a schedule and keep up with it then you might be fine by setting your own accountability process . In my case I need a schedule, accountability process and have an accountability buddy. Anything that helps you keep focused and committed. Also my blog, by sharing with you it makes me see what I have accomplished and where I have to work on.
- Start. This might be the one step that we always delay. We are never ready enough to do something, so just start! You will learn along the way. I can assure you, I did not know anything about blogging and have come a long way. Still a long way to overcome but night and day for me!
Keep the Motivation
Along the way you might have moments when you feel like you won’t make it. The following are simple tips that will help.
- Disconnect for a moment . Don’t give up though, refresh and restart!
- Read a motivation book. There are so much out there to help you. My resent read was “You are a Badass”
- Surround yourself with positive energy. No one has time for the negative cousin 😉
- Motivational Quotes! I am an avid pinner of Quotes and resently shared 17 of my favorite to help with goals . I love how simple words can lift you up.
Now there is just one more thing left to say!!
SLAY YOUR GOALS!! Enjoy the ride and go for the win!