School has already started, but why give up on the summer days? Last week we were visiting family on Tampa and decided to visit the Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo. Let me tell you that this Zoo was an unexpected thrilling adventure!!!!
Right now they have the Dinos Alive! exhibition where you can walk through life-sized prehistoric dinosaurs. They can move, roar and be careful… some can spit too!! At the end you can also explore dinosaur eggs, learn about bones and dig for fossils. We did this as soon as we got to the park. Because it will be opened until labor day weekend, many families were visiting it.
Once we finished the dinosaur adventure we continued through the park. It is filled with luscious trees and gardens so there was plenty of shade. We saw a false gharial, they have long and slender snouts but still I would not like to be caught near it.
On our walk we encountered the manatee windows where we could see up close sick, injured and orphaned manatees. These manatees are being taken care off and once they have recovered they will be returned to their homes. I had the opportunity to show my 6 year old the importance of taking caution when we are at sea specially if we were on a boat or what we throw away. They had good informational boards that helped me explain in detail the why and how.
It was time for a break and decided to stop at the rides and splash park. They definitely needed to get wet, eat and just enjoy the rides and we(meaning adults) definitely needed to sit down 😉
There was more to see!! We encountered the stingrays, Randall the Giraffe (who I might say was very photogenic) and the Okapi. I had never seen an Okapi in my life it is part zebra part donkey but really neither. It is very interesting to keep learning about nature, how wonderful, weird but perfect it is.
It was a great experience and we enjoyed it to the last drop, literally we dropped dead after this. We were so tired that we could not see one area so we definitely need to come back and see the rest of the amazing animals!!
5 tips to make your day!!
- Arrive early, the park opens at 9:30 am and being that it is still summer it is best to start when the temperature is not at its highest.
- Bring bathing suits for the kids, what the heck!! bring one for you too if you want. Once you start heating up and the kids start loosing their heads stop for refreshing splashes, food and beverages.
- If you have kids in strollers bring a portable fan. This helped my littlest one not get over heated.
- They have photographers all around the park and if you like having pictures as keepsake they have different offers. One offer includes all the pics, unlimited so you can take as many as you want.
- If you are from the area get a membership, they have different packages that will definitely help your pocket. This is a park that you will love to come back!!
Have you ever been to this Zoo, what was your experience? Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.